This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6746 / 55°40'28"N
Longitude: -4.0723 / 4°4'20"W
OS Eastings: 269776
OS Northings: 644296
OS Grid: NS697442
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.HKDW
Mapcode Global: WH4R8.FM1L
Entry Name: Strathaven, Colinhill Road, Former Crosshill Annexe
Listing Date: 7 July 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392521
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45578
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1850; east wing and bellcote added 1875. Single storey, 7-bay asymmetrical U-plan former school with 2 advanced gabled ends with flat-roofed hall addition between; bracketed and gabletted bellcote to right gable. Painted render with painted sandstone dressings. Base course; eaves course to central hall; plain margins to openings; blind windows; keystoned oculus to gableheads; strip quoins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 3-bay hall addition: deep-set, 2-leaf, part-glazed timber doors in slightly recessed bay to centre; 2 small windows flanking to right. Window in each bay to right and left flanking. 2 windows to each gabled bay to outer right and left; blind oculus above; bellcote to right hand gablehead.
Boarded windows, (formerly steel-framed, small-paned with side-opening casements). Grey slate roof; felt roof covering to hall addition; ashlar skews; ovolo-moulded skewputts; corniced ashlar ridge stack; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not fully seen, 1998; simple interior with most classrooms retaining their original timber doors; timber dado; timber floors.
Built in 1850, Crosshill School originally consisted of 2 classrooms with a connecting corridor; this arrangement now forms the west wing of the building. In 1853 a Schoolmaster?s house was built adjacent to the school and in 1875 the east wing and bellcote were added; a central hall was also constructed between the wings. In 1904 the school moved to Strathaven Academy and Crosshill School became a cookery and science annexe. The Miner?s WelfareCentre held meetings here during the 1930s and in 1947 the building was used as a primary school, feeding Strathaven Academy. The striking double gabled elevation to the street, keystoned oculi and tall bellcote are of particular interest.
Other nearby listed buildings