This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0796 / 56°4'46"N
Longitude: -3.5683 / 3°34'5"W
OS Eastings: 302490
OS Northings: 688530
OS Grid: NT024885
Mapcode National: GBR 1T.NVR0
Mapcode Global: WH5QQ.5G24
Entry Name: Oakley, Station Road, Church of the Most Holy Name
Listing Date: 10 July 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392540
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45593
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Charles W Gray, 1958: windows by Gabriel Loire of Chartres. Rectangular-plan, Romanesque revival church with apse, saddleback-roofed tower and transepts. Whitewashed harl with contrasting sandstone-ashlar dressings and stone cills. Rusticated base course and eaves course. Mainly round-headed windows; roll-moulded ashlar doorcases.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Crowstepped tower to advanced centre bay with broad flight of steps up to 2-leaf boarded timber door below blind roll-moulded panel, round-headed window at gallery height and louvered arrowslit above. Flanking bays with windows to ground and
gallery below sloping roof, and outer flat-coped square buttresses.
S ELEVATION: 8-bay elevation with crowstepped porch breaking eaves in penultimate bay to right, steps up to deep-set 2-leaf boarded timber door, carved figure above on corbelled base; blank bay to outer right. Crowstepped transept in penultimate bay to left with tall window, 3 clearstorey windows to outer left over lean-to vestry with door to S and 3 small windows on return to left (W). Window and dividing buttresses to each of 4 centre bays. All windows round-headed.
W ELEVATION: stone-cross finialled gabled elevation, small canted apse at centre with windows to N and S.
N ELEVATION: 8-bay elevation with 4 buttressed bays to centre, each with circular clearstorey window over asymmetrically- fenestrated flat-roofed projection; crowstepped transept in
penultimate bay to left, outer bay blank. Penultimate bay to right with door in continuation of flat-roofed projection, square chimney stack projecting to outer right, and low service wing projecting to N.
INTERIOR: (not seen 1998). Vaulted nave with fixed timber pews and broad chancel arch. Stained glass dalle de verre windows depicting stylised scenes from the life of Jesus in the W clerestorey, E windows with symbols of the Eucharist, E transept with 'Our Lady', 2 armorial windows in S chapel. Carved Stations of the Cross, 1967, also by Loire.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The Church of the Holy Name was built to serve miners moving in from Lanarkshire. Gray's traditional modern Scottish design followed and developed earlier essays in this revival form, notably, John Kinross's St Mary's Church, Chapeltown, 896, and Lorimer and Matthew's St Margaret's Church, Glasgow, 1930, all reviving and translating for contemporary needs historic models such as
Polwarth Church, Berwickshire, 1703. The fine stained glass windows used a method popular at the time, most notably at Gillespie, Kidd & Coia's Sacred Heart, Cumbernauld, 1964.
Other nearby listed buildings