This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2842 / 57°17'3"N
Longitude: -2.3763 / 2°22'34"W
OS Eastings: 377410
OS Northings: 821569
OS Grid: NJ774215
Mapcode National: GBR X8.VNHN
Mapcode Global: WH8NW.G5MP
Entry Name: West High Street West Parish Church, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 August 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392557
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45604
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverurie and District
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Donald McMillan, 1874-77; chapel 1936, memorial apse 1950. Simple Gothic style church on corner site with broached stone spire and 2-stage buttressed tower. Grey and pink granite, ashlar to front gable, tower and chapel, coursed rubble elsewhere, grey slate roof. Polished ashlar dressings, eaves course, ashlar coped skews, fleur-de-liys finial to front, cast-iron finial to rear. Diamond paned lattice windows to original building, 2-light windows with pointed timber astragals and leaded glazing to chapel.
Front gable elevation: paired pointed arch doors to centre with trefoil plate traceried doorheads, small pointed arch door to right; 4-light bar-traceried gallery window above, lancet window to right; tower to left with 2-light pointed window at 1st stage to front and left return elevations, pointed arch louvred openings with gabled heads at 2nd stage, lucarnes at mid spire height.
Side elevations; 5 pointed arch windows with continuous band course at springing level.
Rear gable: large rose window.
Chapel: lower single storey building at rear gable. Door with large transom light, 3 windows, memorial apse with cross window.
Interior: cast-iron cluster columns rising through gallery to support queen post roof (without ties); gallery on three sides, original pews, central pulpit on rear wall approached by 2 flights of steps, Rushworth and Dreaper organ (1935) designed around the rose window.
Built for the Free Church on a site given by Lord Kintore. The site of the original Free Church is now occupied by the Inverurie Health Centre (1998).
Other nearby listed buildings