History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arniston Policies, Horace's Bridge over River South Esk

A Category B Listed Building in Temple, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8191 / 55°49'8"N

Longitude: -3.088 / 3°5'16"W

OS Eastings: 331925

OS Northings: 658961

OS Grid: NT319589

Mapcode National: GBR 61W4.8V

Mapcode Global: WH6T7.JZRW

Entry Name: Arniston Policies, Horace's Bridge over River South Esk

Listing Date: 18 November 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 392817

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45805

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Temple

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Parish: Temple

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Gorebridge

Description

Late 18th century. Semicircular arched, single span rustic bridge over River South Esk. Unhewn stones set randomly to encourage growth of moss and ferns; rubble arch ring; rubble coping; splayed wing walls; rusticated terminal piers with polished caps. Latin inscription to panel to centre of W elevation.

Statement of Interest

The gardens at Arniston began with a large walled garden which was part of the original house of circa 1620. No major changes occurred until William Adam was taken on, under Robert Dundas 3rd Lord Arniston (1685-1753), in 1726. In addition to designing the house he was also responsible for the layout of the grounds. Adam's arrangement (which seems to have been carried out to the south) mixed the formal with the informal, and comprised a bastioned parterre, wilderness, great avenue, cascade and basin. From the 1750?s there was long period of improvement, principally involving the informalising of the grounds. John Adam, who continued with work on the house and grounds where his father had stopped, was responsible for some of the changes. By 1764 the parterre and cascade had gone. In 1791 Thomas White designed an improvement plan for the Arniston grounds, little of this was actually carried out, but the gardens did become more informal towards the beginning of the 19th century. The Wild Garden, where many rustic bridges can be found (see Borthwick Parish List for individual entries), was established some time after the 1760?s. The Wild Garden is separated from the house by steeply sloping parkland, and runs either side of Purvies Hill Burn with various garden ornaments and bridges. The burn continues westwards, towards the rustic Grotto (see separate list description in Borthwick Parish), the path, which runs along its banks, winding through woodland, over the many moss covered rustic bridges. This particular bridge is very similar to Rustic Bridge No 5 over River South Esk (see separate list description in Borthwick Parish) also part of Arniston Policies. A sketch which closely resembles both bridges survives in the SRO (RHP 5248/1). The Latin inscription, which is now obscured, is possibly from Horace.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.