This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1396 / 56°8'22"N
Longitude: -3.1186 / 3°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 330587
OS Northings: 694665
OS Grid: NT305946
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.K1BV
Mapcode Global: WH6RP.2Y75
Entry Name: Boreland, Branxton Farmhouse with Ancillary Structure
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393144
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46031
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Mid to later 19th century; alterations (see Notes) by Alexander Tod and A Stewart Tod. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan farmhouse with jerkin- headed porch. Squared and snecked, and roughly coursed rubble with dressed margins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: panelled timber door to centre below cantilevered porch with decorative timber work and fishscale slates, bipartite window in bay to right and canted tripartite to left; windows to outer bays at 1st floor, each breaking eaves into pedimented dormerhead.
N ELEVATION: lower advanced gable to left of centre with small window to right and door with adjacent window on return to right; full-height slightly advanced blank bay to centre with small window to ground and dormerheaded window above on return to right; further window in bay to right.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to outer left at both floors, and to outer right at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to outer bays at 1st floor.
8-, 10- and 12-pane glazing patterns (some lying-pane) in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans and overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: some plain cornicing and dado rails. Winding timber staircase with turned balusters and timber handrail.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: small rectangular-plan, piend-roofed, polychrome brick ancillary.
Property of Wemyss Estate Trustees. The staircase is representative of many similar examples inserted into estate properties by Alexander Tod in the late 19th to early 20th century. The canted window is the earlier to mid 20th century work of A Stewart Tod.
Other nearby listed buildings