This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1399 / 56°8'23"N
Longitude: -3.0878 / 3°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 332499
OS Northings: 694664
OS Grid: NT324946
Mapcode National: GBR 2D.K28K
Mapcode Global: WH6RP.JXVZ
Entry Name: West Wemyss, Belvedere Hotel Including 1-2 and 5-11 (Inclusive Nos) Coxstool, Ancillary Buildings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 11 December 1972
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393170
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46055
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1927; converted to hotel 1986. 2-storey, T-plan former Miners Welfare Institute with Doric-columned loggia (now filled), shaped gables and diminutive belvedere. Coxstool buildings late 19th century (some rebuilt, see below) also converted to hotel accommodation 1986. Harled with stone margins. String and eaves courses.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to door at left of infilled 3-bay loggia (windows to remaining bays), 6 smaller regularly disposed windows to 1st floor and glazed, ball-finialled belvedere over left bay. Slightly advanced shaped gable to outer left with similar Doric -columned loggia infilled with broad fixed window to ground and 2 irregular windows to 1st floor; gablehead above forming semicircular pediment. Screen wall to outer left with later openings.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: lower advanced arm to centre with 3 windows of broad canted bay under bellcast roof, flat-roofed dormer window (facing N) on return to right, and further window on return to left. Semicircular Doric-columned loggia with cornice, frieze and dated stone at centre in re-entrant angle to right below 2 windows to 1st floor of recessed bay. Later flat-roofed bay with 3 small windows filling re-entrant angle to left.
S ELEVATION: broad canted bay to right with 3 windows to each floor below piended roof with curved outer angles; recessed bay to left with door to ground.
N ELEVATION: single storey projecting bay with hotel sign in moulded open-pediment detail and dominant stack to centre, and windows to flanking canted angles under bellcast roof; bridge to door in recessed bay to right under catslide roof.
12- and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows (except to later windows). Red pantiles. Coped harled stack with cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts, and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
NOS 5 AND 6: Alexander Tod, late 19th century. 2- and 3-storey castellated former coffee house and reading room with round corner turrets and 1st floor balcony. Deep base and string courses.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 4 windows to centre at ground with part-glazed timber doors in flanking turrets; corbelled balcony to 1st floor with window to centre, doors in flanking bays and further windows to outer turrets; 2 windows to centre above breaking eaves to crenellated pyramidal roof and further windows to outer turrets.
E ELEVATION: rounded corner with window to ground floor and bipartite window above breaking eaves to crenellated, piended roof.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including dominant shouldered stack breaking eaves at centre into pyramidal roof, and round corner turret to outer left.
NOS 7 - 11: rebuilt late 19th century. 2 plain 2-storey, tenements with small, recessed, single storey link between Nos 7 and 8.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No 7 to right of centre with broad tripartite window to ground and 2 windows at 1st floor. Nos 8-11 to left with 4 windows to each floor, and link section with door to left and window to right.
NOS 1 AND 2: rebuilt and altered late 19th century. Pair of single storey, 2-bay cottages on ground falling to S.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows throughout. Grey slates to Nos 5-7; modern pantiles to Nos 8-11 and 1-2, latter also with slate eaves easing courses. Coped and harled stacks with cans; some ashlar-coped skews, and moulded skewputts to Nos 8-11.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: single and 2-storey, piend-roofed, rubble and harl ancillary adjoining infilled brick arches of former pit-pony stables.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped and harled, rubble and balustraded (see Notes) brick boundary walls to The Belvedere. Low coped, harled and rubble boundary walls and squat coped gatepiers to Nos 5 and 6. Low random rubble boundary walls to Nos 7-11.
Property of Wemyss Properties Ltd. Group with Nos 3-4 and 12-13 Coxstool. Built and used as a Miners' Welfare Institute until 1952, the building was finally purchased by the Wemyss Development Company in 1978. From then until 1986 the Institute and the Coxstool houses were converted to the Belvedere Hotel. The stone balustrade was saved from the now demolished Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. No 1 Coxstool was formerly known as 'The Beaten Stane House'.
Other nearby listed buildings