This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1779 / 56°10'40"N
Longitude: -3.0315 / 3°1'53"W
OS Eastings: 336063
OS Northings: 698839
OS Grid: NT360988
Mapcode National: GBR 2G.GNXF
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.DZPB
Entry Name: Denbeath, Institution Street, Denbeath Miners' Welfare Institute and Bowling Club with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393218
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46072
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Buckhaven and Methil
Town: Buckhaven And Methil
Electoral Ward: Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages
Traditional County: Fife
A Stewart Tod, 1924 with later additions. 2-storey, 5-bay, piend-roofed pavilion with pedimented loggia and bellcote. String and eaves courses. Cement render with raised margins. Segmental-headed, keystoned doorcase; circular openings; round-headed, keystoned arch.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced centre bays with paired and single Doric columns below bipartite window and further wide flanking windows breaking eaves in broad pediment; broad recessed doorcase with 2-leaf, part-glazed timber door at centre and windows in flanking bays; each outer bay with window at ground and roundel above (that to left blocked). Dog-leg stone staircase with keystoned pedestrian gateway and blocked window set back to outer right, modern flat-roofed extension to outer left.
NW ELEVATION: full-height pilastered and pedimented bay with stone plaque worded 'MINERS WELFARE INSTITUTE' to centre, blocked window to left and modern door below canopy to right; blinded roundels over outer bays. Slightly advanced lower piended bay to outer left with 3 windows and small catslide-roofed dormer breaking eaves at centre, similar bay to outer right with projecting flat-roofed extension.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with door off-centre left and window immediately to right, bipartite window to left and slightly projecting bay with stone forestair (see above) to outer left; lower pavilion projecting to outer right.
SW ELEVATION: 3 windows to original pavilion at centre, 2-storey extension to right and single storey extension to left.
12-pane, multi-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Swept roofs with orange pantiles. Rendered stacks with some cans; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: harled boundary walls raised in brick with square-section corniced gatepiers, decorative cast-iron gates and railings to outside stair.
The 'Happy Mine' at Denbeath was operating by the middle of the nineteenth century, but the mining community expanded dramatically from 1900-1910 with the opening of new mines which led to the erection of the so-called 'Garden City'. The Third Statistical Account comments that "the three Institutes built in Methil, Denbeath and Buckhaven, have proved most valuable in a town where any other kind of community centre is lacking"; and continues "the tennis-courts attached to the Denbeath Institute are the only ones in the burgh". In spite of unsympathetic extensions, this building retains its integrity and historic interest, now as a bowling pavilion with green.
Other nearby listed buildings