This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8245 / 55°49'28"N
Longitude: -3.0887 / 3°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 331887
OS Northings: 659561
OS Grid: NT318595
Mapcode National: GBR 61W2.2X
Mapcode Global: WH6T7.JVDR
Entry Name: Carrington Mill and Mill Cottage
Listing Date: 29 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393241
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46085
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
Late18th century. 2-storey former mill set into hillside. Mixture of pink and yellow sandstone rubble with polished and droved dressings. Long and short quoins.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; doorway to centre of ground floor; remainder blank.
W ELEVATION: single storey at top of slope. Replacement door and window openings.
S ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 2-pane window to centre of 1st floor; small square opening off-centre to left below.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window to centre of ground floor; window off-centre to right of 1st floor under eaves.
Replacement single pane and 2-pane timber windows. Corrugated iron piended roof. PVCu rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: empty; machinery no longer in place.
Dated 1837. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan cottage with later addition to rear. Tooled squared and snecked sandstone principal elevation, random rubble to remainder; broached dressings. Long and short quoins; projecting cills.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; small-pane timber door to centre; window to each flanking bay.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; lean-to addition to right of ground floor with window to left return and boarded timber door to right return; window set to right of gablehead; tooled datestone reading "1837" to left skewputt.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window to bay to left; rooflight above. Centre and left bays obscured by single storey harled addition; left return of addition: 7-bay; gabled doorways advanced to penultimate bays to left and right; boarded timber doors; 2-leaf boarded timber garage door to outer right; windows with sham shutters to remaining bays.
S ELEVATION: not seen 1998.
Predominantly 12-pane replacement timber sash and case windows. Purple-grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Coped, stugged sandstone gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
Described in The Advertiser as "a friendly little place", which ground flour for the whole district. Carrington Mill survives in good condition. The wall height appears to have been raised slightly during the 19th century, but is in keeping with the style of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings