This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8327 / 55°49'57"N
Longitude: -3.0891 / 3°5'20"W
OS Eastings: 331876
OS Northings: 660476
OS Grid: NT318604
Mapcode National: GBR 60WZ.0Z
Mapcode Global: WH6T7.JN6G
Entry Name: Carrington Village, Carrington Mains Farmhouse Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 29 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393242
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46086
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
1813. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with later additions and alterations. Tooled coursed yellow sandstone with droved dressings. Eaves course; projecting cills; long and short dressings and quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pink sandstone gabled porch advanced to centre of ground floor; panelled timber door; 8-pane timber windows to left and right returns; coped stone skews; grey slate roof with lead ridge. Window to left and right bays of ground floor. Regular fenestration to 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: symmetrical; single window to centre of 1st floor. Single storey, 3-bay addition to right. Timber door with letter-box fanlight to gabled bay to centre flanked to right by 2-pane window; 2-pane window to piend roofed bay to left. Pal stone to outer right angle.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; predominantly obscured by additions. 6-pane window to left of 1st floor. Single storey addition to centre and left bays of ground floor; window to each bay. Gabled single bay, 2-storey addition advanced to right; obscured at ground floor by adjoining Carrington Mains Steading (see separate listing).
SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; lean-to conservatory to ground floor; 2 window openings to centre of 1st floor, that to right is blind. 2-storey, 2-bay addition to outer right; regular fenestration.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple-grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Coped, tooled sandstone gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: ironwork gates to NE, S and E of house. Coped polished sandstone gatepiers with half-spherical caps to E; coped, coursed polished sandstone quadrant walls. Rubble wall to S of house with rubble coping.
B Group with Carrington Village, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 Carrington Mains Cottages and Carrington Mains Steading (see separate listings). Carrington Mains forms the S side of Carrington Village, many of the cottages being built specially to serve the farm. The farm steading was also built in 1813 by the Earl of Rosebery who was, at that time, implementing agricultural improvements on most of the farms on his estate.
Other nearby listed buildings