This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1464 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.1378 / 2°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 391762
OS Northings: 806180
OS Grid: NJ917061
Mapcode National: GBR S5V.9Y
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4M8T
Entry Name: Morningfield Road and King's Gate, Morningfield Hospital, Including Porter's Lodge, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393382
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46160
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Henderson and Son, 1883-1884; additions and alterations by W and J Smith & Kelly, 1902; later additions and alterations. 2-storey and attic, 9-bay hospital with single storey lodge to NE, stack to E and gatepiers to S. Coursed tooled grey granite with contrasting light grey long and short dressings finely finished to margins. Base course; ground and 1st floor cill courses; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay central pavilion advanced and stepped-up to centre, panelled timber door under granite canopy to centre of ground floor, small-pane fanlight and glazed flanking panels, stone steps to door, rectangular-plan tripartite windows advanced to right and left, windows to left and right returns, corniced parapets with decorative granite finials surmounting; window to centre of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by bipartite windows; 3 windows to open pedimented attic floor, blind bull's-eye opening set in pediment, stone finial to apex. 2-storey, 2-bay link blocks flanking to left and right, regular fenestration. Advanced single bay pavilions to left and right, tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors; single small window to centre at ground and 1st floors.
N ELEVATION: 3-stage square-plan Italianate towers with pyramidal roofs to left and right; variety irregular openings to remainder.
W ELEVATION: harled link to wing to right; rectangular-plan 1902 addition to centre, harled, round-arched opening to N, decorative lead fleche to ridge.
Combination of modern glazing and timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roofs with lead ridges, square-plan vents to ridges. Coped granite wallhead and ridges stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
1891. Single storey, 2-bay lodge to NE of hospital. Coursed tooled grey granite with contrasting light grey long and short dressings, finely finished to margins. Base course; cill course; eaves course; long and short quoins; overhanging eaves; rusticated blind bull's-eye openings set in gableheads.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; panelled timber door with 2-pane fanlight to left, flanked to right by advanced gabled bay, with 5-light rectangular-plan window, stepped-up parapet.
N ELEVATION: gabled; 2 windows asymmetrically placed.
W ELEVATION: gabled to right, modern addition to left.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay; gabled; 3 regularly placed windows; flat-roofed addition to left.
Replacement windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped gablehead stacks with circular and octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: Granite ashlar square- plan panelled gatepiers to S, corniced necks surmounted by spherical finials, low coped quadrant walls flanked by diminutive piers with spherical finials; square-plan gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps to NE; predominantly rubble walls with pointed pink granite coping.
Morningfield Hospital was originally a hospital for incurables, influenced by Longmore Hospital, Edinburgh (see separate listing) and Broomhill Hospital, Kirkintilloch. The original hospital, founded in 1857 was in Belleville House, Denburn, until the Morningfield site was acquired in 1883.
Other nearby listed buildings