This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1464 / 57°8'46"N
Longitude: -2.0792 / 2°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 395303
OS Northings: 806165
OS Grid: NJ953061
Mapcode National: GBR SG4.CB
Mapcode Global: WH9QR.1M5W
Entry Name: 5 York Street, Cam House, (Former Nursery School), Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 24 June 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393515
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46278
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Pirie & Clyne, dated 1881, with 1892 addition to rear. Single storey, gabled, former nursery school. Monumental 2-stage square-plan bell tower central gable to S (street elevation), with pyramidal roof. Squared, coursed granite to street elevation, other elevations Aberdeen-bond. Battered base course, some hoodmoulds, simple stone finials to apex of gables. Tripartite pointed-arched window openings to S.
Predominantly non-traditional uPVC lying-pane windows. Grey slate roof. Stone skews with simple gableted or blocked skewputts. Coped, shouldered ridge and wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2006). Predominantly altered. Some surviving cornicing and skirting boards.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: coped, coursed granite wall with simple ironwork railings; rubble and brick wall to E.
One of only two schools designed by Pirie & Clyne (the other being Crown Terrace School, also in Aberdeen). The school was built in 1881 to replace the earlier, by then overcrowded, Davidson's School. It served the children of the neighbourhood, including those of the nearby fishing village Footdee. The bold massing, oversized bell-tower and battered base are unusual features and suggest the influence of Alexander Thomson.
Pirie & Clyne (1881-1892) was a successful Aberdeen partnership. Their commissions were more usually domestic or ecclesiastical and the latter influence can clearly be seen in this building.
The school became a nursery school in 1942, and is now in commercial use (2006).
Reference from previous list description: Town Council of Aberdeen Minutes, 3 March 1881, 16 August 1886, 18 July 1892 (p257).
Changed from category B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings