This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8505 / 55°51'1"N
Longitude: -4.2807 / 4°16'50"W
OS Eastings: 257315
OS Northings: 664272
OS Grid: NS573642
Mapcode National: GBR 0FQ.BH
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.66TS
Entry Name: 118 and 126-136 (Even Nos) Stanley Street, Former Our Lady and St Margaret's Presbytery and Primary School (Roman Catholic) Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 8 July 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393516
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46279
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Bruce & Hay, 1910 (School); Pugin & Pugin, 1882 (Presbytery). 5-storey and basement, rectangular-plan primary school. Bull-faced red sandstone; red sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; cill courses at basement, 1st and 3rd floors; aprons beneath 2nd floor windows; castellated parapet. Gabled buttresses delineate 2-bay central entrance and 3-bay outer entrances; central entrance rises at 4th floor to form kneeled gable; arrow slits within; hoodmoulded quatrefoil; cross at apex; flanking pinnacles. Square-headed window openings with relieving arches at ground floor; segmental-arched windows at 1st floor; arcaded segmental-arched windows at central and outer entrance bays, arcaded square-headed openings to remaining bays at 2nd and 3rd floors.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 18-bay, near-symmetrical facade. Central gabled entrance; volutes above stepped consoles; cross at apex; quatrefoil; segmental arch over 2-leaf timber door and deep fanlight; single window to left at ground floor; regular fenestration at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, rising to form kneeled gable (see above). Identical doorpieces (see above) to outer right and left bays at ground floor; 2 single windows at ground floor to inner bays; regular fenestration at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Regular fenestration at ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors to remaining bays.
Timber windows (boarded at ground floor); iron grills (predominantly) at 1st floor; roof unseen 1999.
PRESBYTERY: Pugin & Pugin, 1882. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan presbytery. Bull-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course; band and cill courses at ground, 1st and 2nd floors; banded parapet.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central arched keystoned entrance; timber door; single window aligned above at 1st floor; tripartite opening at 2nd floor, central crocketted niche, flanking windows, hoodmould; rising to form gable; round-traceried hoodmoulded window within; cross finial at apex. Bipartite windows flanking at ground, 1st and 2nd floors; single windows at attic to outer right and left.
Boarded, plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; corner wallhead stacks.
INTERIORS: both not seen 1999.
GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: polygonal-plan stone gatepiers and iron gatepiers to right of presbytery; single and 2-leaf iron gates; iron railings atop boundary wall to short section; higher boundary wall to right (remains of demolished Pugin & Pugin church); linking boundary wall of school to presbytery comprises hoodmoulded entrance, bipartite windows flanking, larger single window to right; high brick boundary wall enclosing school playground to Portman Street.
Good example of school building on a palazzo scale. Of particular interest is its borrowing of motifs from the earlier Pugin & Pugin presbytery, for example the distinctive coursing of the stonework, relieving arches and central entrance bay rising to form a distinctive gable. Also of interest are the upper-storey playgrounds and general fine detailing throughout. The architects Bruce & Hay were also responsible for the now demolished Renaissance-detailed Burgh Court in Stanley Street. Pugin & Pugin church demolished, its stained glass now in Ayr's Cathedral of the Good Shepherd.
Other nearby listed buildings