History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chirnside, Main Street West End, Elm Bank (Former Ninewells School and School House) Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Wall, Gatepiers and Gate

A Category C Listed Building in Chirnside, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8008 / 55°48'3"N

Longitude: -2.2184 / 2°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 386405

OS Northings: 656417

OS Grid: NT864564

Mapcode National: GBR D1YC.JD

Mapcode Global: WH9Y7.WGSB

Entry Name: Chirnside, Main Street West End, Elm Bank (Former Ninewells School and School House) Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Wall, Gatepiers and Gate

Listing Date: 6 September 1999

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393638

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46351

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Chirnside

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Chirnside

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Chirnside

Description

Style of Burn and Bryce, dated 1851, with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, near T-plan, Tudor-detailed complex comprising 2-storey, rectangular-plan former school house with single storey former school room adjoined to E; blocked, gabled porch in re-entrant angle to N; glazed porch in re-entrant angle to S. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone (tooled rubble in part); sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised base course; moulded eaves course; coped parapet in part to S. Lightly stugged, raised quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; sandstone mullions; chamfered cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure to E.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled wing advanced to left with tripartite window centred at ground; bipartite window aligned above. Single storey range recessed to right with large, slightly projecting tripartite window at centre; architraved panel above; blind, round-arched arrowslit centred in surmounting gablehead. Glazed porch set at angle in re-entrant angle to left with carved sandstone brackets beneath sandstone gablehead.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block with single window at ground to right; gabled window breaking eaves above. Slightly advanced, gabled bay to left with tripartite window at ground; corbelled tripartite window projecting at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with bipartite windows centred at both floors. Single storey porch adjoined to left with blocked, basket-arched opening at ground, rectangular panel dated '1851' centred in surmounting gablehead.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled wing at centre with full-height projecting stack breaking gablehead. Modern window in blocked, basket-arched porch opening recessed to outer right. Glazed porch set at angle recessed to outer left.

Predominantly modern glazing; some 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to W. Grey slate roof; red tile ridging. Gablet-coped skews; bracketed skewputts (some with tapering sandstone finials). Coped sandstone, clustered ridge stacks centred in 2-storey block; barley-twist cans; apex stack to E single storey range. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: tooled cream sandstone rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to central timber door; large, square-headed opening in bay to left. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. INTERIOR: part used for storage, remainder not seen 1998.

BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATE: round-arched, tooled sandstone coping to pointed rubble wall enclosing site. Square-plan corniced sandstone gatepiers flanking W entrance; flat caps. Later, square-plan piers to N; 2-leaf modern iron gates.

Statement of Interest

Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a neat stone building" with "...a spacious schoolroom, a comfortable residence for the teacher and a garden and playground attached." Now a private residence, this was originally an unendowed mixed school, established by Miss Hume, niece of the philosopher, David Hume, and resident in the nearby Ninewells House - itself designed by William Burn, 1839-41 to replace an earlier structure, and demolished in 1964. In 1866, Rutherfurd recorded a Thomas Muir as school master, and the average attendance as 60.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.