History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chirnside Station (Former)

A Category C Listed Building in Chirnside, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8041 / 55°48'14"N

Longitude: -2.2371 / 2°14'13"W

OS Eastings: 385236

OS Northings: 656779

OS Grid: NT852567

Mapcode National: GBR D1TB.G7

Mapcode Global: WH9Y7.LCYW

Entry Name: Chirnside Station (Former)

Listing Date: 6 September 1999

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393642

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46355

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Chirnside

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Chirnside

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Chirnside

Description

Opened 1849; closed 1951. Single storey, near L-plan former station complex comprising 5-bay, originally rectangular-plan former station master's house and offices to E with piended addition at rear forming near T-plan; later rectangular-plan, piended waiting room to W. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone to E range; droved sandstone dressings; brick-built rear addition. Overhanging timber bracketed eaves; droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to slightly raised margins; projecting cills. Timber-clad former waiting room with brick base; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Rectangular-plan former goods shed to NE.

E RANGE, SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door in penultimate bay to outer right; 3-pane fanlight; flanking single windows. Boarded timber door in bay to outer left; plate glass fanlight; single window in subsequent bay to right; blind rectangular panel set between. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: brick-built rear addition projecting at centre; single windows in 2 bays recessed to right; bays obscured to left. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: large tripartite window centred beneath gable (narrow side-lights). Continuous glazing row in further addition to left. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Brick-built, corniced ridge and apex stacks; various octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: converted for use as offices.

FORMER WAITING ROOM, SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: sliding timber panelled door in bay to outer right. Small, bipartite window set beneath eaves in bay to outer left. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind. NW (REAR/PLATFORM) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Sliding timber panelled door in bay to outer left. Tripartite and bipartite glazing rows with 2-pane fanlights in subsequent 2 bays to right. Boarded timber door in bay to outer right. Fixed-pane 2- and 4-pane glazing in timber windows. Grey slate roof. Brick-built, corniced ridge stack; octagonal cans. INTERIOR: whitewashed boarded timber cladding. Original sliding panelled door and simple timber fireplace in place. In use as retail outlet.

PLATFORM: stone-coped, red-brick platform wall in place to NW. Rail tracks removed.

Statement of Interest

A rare and well-detailed survival, noted in the OS Name Book as "...a station for passengers and goods on the North British Railway, Dunse branch, in the vicinity of the village of Chirnside." With is sliding timber doors and original fireplace, the timber-clad waiting room is a particularly good example of its type. Last used as a station in 1951, the whole complex is now an office/retail outlet.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.