This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.4689 / 56°28'8"N
Longitude: -4.3168 / 4°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 257371
OS Northings: 733163
OS Grid: NN573331
Mapcode National: GBR HCQM.7CM
Mapcode Global: WH3L4.NNLP
Plus Code: 9C8QFM9M+H7
Entry Name: Killin, Main Street, St Fillan's Episcopal Church, Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 13 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393653
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46364
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1876, extended to E, early 20th century. Single storey, 7-bay, Latin Cross-plan church with lower, pitched-roof vestibule to W and central swept pyramidal louvered ventilator. Corrugated-iron with timber details. Brick base course. Stop-chamfered reveals to original pointed-arched openings; timber bargeboards; spike-finials.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gable, forming short arm of cross in bay 5 from left: transverse boarded door with window to rightflanking; spike finial to gable above; window in left return. Regularly disposed window in each remaining bay.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 6-bay. Bipartite window in advanced gable, forming short arm of cross) in bay 2 from left; spike finial to gable above; window in right return. Large window in bay to left. Regularly disposed window in each remaining bay.
W ELEVATION: window in gablehead vestibule offset to right of centre; transverse timber boarded door in left return; stylised flower finial to main gable above.
E ELEVATION: blank.
Timber-framed windows with central hopper to original W block; timber-framed window with top-hung upper lights to E. Corrugated-iron roof; uPVC rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: boarded pine-lined throughout; diagonally boarded doors; open timber ceiling; open timber over crossing; trefoil motifs to rafter angles; pine pews; timber-panelled and painted altar (by George Watson, Edinburgh); timber prayer rail with floreate, wrought-iron supports; stone font.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: iron gates; square-plan gatepiers; low rubble boundary wall.
Built in 1876 by the 7th Marquis of Breadalbane as a place for the members of his shooting party to worship, this explains why the church is also known by the local name 'Grouse Chapel'. Dedicated to St Fillan, an Irish saint who lived in the area and had a reputation as a healer. The church is particularly notable for its timber construction, extensive timber interior, and corrugated-iron cladding.
Category changed B to C(S), 4 May 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings