This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0478 / 56°2'51"N
Longitude: -3.4152 / 3°24'54"W
OS Eastings: 311943
OS Northings: 684781
OS Grid: NT119847
Mapcode National: GBR 20.QSTN
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.H8X1
Entry Name: Pitreavie Castle, Former East Lodge (The Laich)
Listing Date: 16 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393707
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46407
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline South
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1890. 2-storey and attic; 3-bay; L-plan (with slightly later lean-to outhouse to N); former lodge to Pitreavie Castle. Asymmetrical picturesque cottage with prominent bargeboarded gables and deep overhanging eaves; mullioned and transomed windows to principal (S) elevation. Coursed rockfaced sandstone (rear lean-to coursed stugged sandstone) with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Quoins at arrises. Long and short surrounds and chamfered reveals to openings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance to left of centre; open lean-to porch formed by slightly set back continuation of roof of projecting bay to right; supported to left by turned timber post; 2-leaf panelled timber door set back. Mullioned biparite to left. Gable end of short wing projects to right. Mullioned tripartite to ground floor; bipartite above.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pair of adjoining gabled bays to left; that to right slightly lower with entrance to ground floor; part-glazed boarded timber door; flanking narrow windows. Attic window to each gable. Slightly later single-storey lean-to with window projects to outer left bay; entrance with boarded timber door to right return. Tall ground floor window (probably originally door) to left of outer right bay.
E ELEVATION: small window to right of ground floor. Single-storey lean-to adjoins to outer right.
W ELEVATION: blank gable end.
Mainly 6 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Rosemary-tiled gabled roof. Gablehead stack to W side; wallhead stack to E; both corniced with frieze; that to E slightly stepped; round cans. Original cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: partially inspected (1999). Layout largely intact with straight single flight staircase behind main entrance.
B-Group with Pitreavie Castle and dovecot to NE (see separate list descriptions). It was one of two lodges (the West Lodge has since been demolished) built following the acquisition of the Pitreavie estate by Hentry Beveridge (a damask manufacturer) in 1884. In addition to constructing the two lodges he also altered and extended the castle (contributing some very fine interiors to it) and created a Japanese water garden (still in existence, albeit in a dilapidated condition) between the castle and the 'East Lodge'. The castle and estate were purchased by the Air Ministry in 1938 and remained in use by the Ministry of Defence until 1996, during which time a considerable number of military structures were erected. Currently (1999) a private housing development is being constructed on the estate.
Other nearby listed buildings