This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1242 / 57°7'27"N
Longitude: -2.1217 / 2°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 392729
OS Northings: 803701
OS Grid: NJ927037
Mapcode National: GBR S83.Y6
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.C6XC
Entry Name: Holburn Street at South Anderson Drive, Privies and Pantries (Former Tram Shelter and Public Lavatory)
Listing Date: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393806
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46480
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 20th century. Single storey, 3-bay, curved-plan former tram shelter and public lavatory. Squared rough-faced coursed grey granite finely finished to margins. Base course; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; modern 2-leaf panelled and glazed timber door to centre reached by 2 stone steps, decorative geometric fanlight; plate glass windows flanking immediately to left and right with geometric glazing pattern to top hoppers; large timber shop sign above breaking eaves. Former lavatory entrances, now blocked up, to shallow angled walls to outer right and left with signs above, "GENTLEMEN" to right, "LADIES" to left. Octagonal lead clock tower and ventilator to centre of ridge above.
E ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3 regularly spaced single-pane windows.
N AND W ELEVATIONS: not seen 1999.
Predominantly timber-framed windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: converted to shop. Not seen 1999.
This unusually curved shop on a prominent corner site was originally built as a tram shelter at the terminus of the Bridge of Dee to Bridge of Don tram route, and retains much of its original detailing and character.
Other nearby listed buildings