This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1958 / 56°11'44"N
Longitude: -2.9979 / 2°59'52"W
OS Eastings: 338176
OS Northings: 700805
OS Grid: NO381008
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FQFF
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.XJLK
Entry Name: 17-19 (Odd Nos) Commercial Road, Gala Bingo, Former Regent Picture House
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393814
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46489
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
GC Campbell, opened 1922; minor late 20th century alterations. Classical 'church style' former cinema with Art Deco interior details. Harled with concrete dressings and giant order channelled pilasters. Base course, moulded band courses and cornice with pedimented blocking course. Keystoned, round-headed 'triumphal arch' panel. Voussoirs and stone mullions.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: full-height centre bay with pilastered doorway and modern fascia below cornice, tripartite window to 1st floor with pedimented string course over giving way to 3-part round-headed panel bisected horizontally with moulded band, small bipartite window of projection room at apex. Lower, pitch-roofed flanking bays, that to right with blocked tabbed and corniced doorcase, that to left with blocked modern window below 3 narrow lights, and each with bipartite window to 1st floor.
NW (AITKEN STREET) ELEVATION: tall 7-bay elevation, bay to outer left with stepped roof, bays 3 to 6 each with small window close to roof.
Margined glazing in timber sash and case windows to NE. Tar sealed? slate roof. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper.
INTERIOR: foyer with columns clad in modern material; decorative plasterwork cornicing; dog-leg staircase with cross-frame steel balusters, timber handrails, and panelled dadoes. Galleried theatre with rib vaults springing from corniced pilasters; panelled gallery front. Fixed, red plush upholstered flip seats with Deco detail retained at gallery level. Raised stage with decorative basket arch and flanking stylised Deco detail. Spiral stair to projection room with horizontally-clad timber door and steel projection shutters.
An important part of the streetscape, the 'Regent' was known locally as 'the posh picture house', the other cinema being the 'Troxy'.
The Cinema Theatre Association website notes that the Former Regent Picture House opened in 1922 and that it is now a bingo hall.
References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings