This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1947 / 56°11'40"N
Longitude: -2.9978 / 2°59'51"W
OS Eastings: 338181
OS Northings: 700681
OS Grid: NO381006
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FQGX
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.XKNF
Entry Name: 40 High Street and Bank Street, Tsb with Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393827
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46500
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Peddie and Kinnear, dated 1869 and monogrammed; extended to rear mid 20th century. 3-storey Baronial bank building with corner entrance tower and crowstepped gables. Dry-dash with polished ashlar dressings. Base course, stepped string courses. Roll-moulded doorpiece, corbels, stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: rounded entrance tower with steps and flanking low quadrant walls leading to doorpiece with blind moulded tablet incorporated into string course forming hoodmould, and deep-set panelled timber door with glazed fanlight; 4-light window to 1st floor, and 3 windows to 2nd floor giving way to conical roof with decorative cast-iron finial.
SE (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation with doorway (as above) in bay to right at ground, bipartite window to centre, and altered window with cash-dispensing machine in bay to left; 3 windows to 1st floor with stack corbelled out over centre bay; ball-finialled M-gable to 2nd floor with bipartite windows flanking slightly projecting stack with moulded panel marked '1869' and entwined initials 'PK'.
SW (BANK STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation with tripartite window to left at ground, and single window to right; bipartite window to left at 1st floor with blind panel to right, and smaller bipartite to left at 2nd floor, breaking eaves into ball-finialled gablehead, corbelled stack to right abutting tower (see above). Lower extension to outer left.
NE ELEVATION: 2 windows to left at ground, and further window to right at each floor above, that to 2nd floor breaking eaves into gablehead.
NW (NORTH STREET) ELEVATION: modern extension at ground, 1st floor with crowstepped gable to right and window to left, and 2 further 2nd floor windows to centre breaking eaves into crowstepped dormerheads.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; uPVC glazing to 1st and 2nd floors. Grey slates. Coped, dry-dash and ashlar stacks; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts, and cast-iron downpipes with dated rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: modern banking hall. Decorative plasterwork cornices, panelled timber shutters and cantilevered dog-leg stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail.
GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: flat-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers with chamfered angles and low stugged ashlar saddleback-coped boundary walls with inset railings.
Formerly Royal Bank premises, the 20th century extension included conversion of small stable to NW.
Other nearby listed buildings