This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1958 / 56°11'45"N
Longitude: -2.9999 / 2°59'59"W
OS Eastings: 338051
OS Northings: 700808
OS Grid: NO380008
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FPYV
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.WJNK
Entry Name: Parkhill, Parkhill Primary School with Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393840
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46511
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
1908. Tall 2-storey with part attic, 10-bay, T-plan school with Baroque detail and domed cupola to stair towers. Harled with stone dressings. Base and eaves courses. Stone transoms and mullions.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 6 centre bays each with tall bipartite window to each floor: flanking set-back 4-storey bays with tripartite window and flanking single windows rising slightly above eaves into blank pediment: outer tower-like bays each with steps and flanking walls leading to tall pilastered doorcase with deep-set 2-leaf part-glazed timber doors, 'GIRLS' (to left) and 'BOYS' (to right) to frieze below glazed oculus and stretched keystone adjoining cavetto cornice; round-headed tabbed window above with keystone stretching to heavy segmental cornice and set-back finialled domed cupola.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with advanced piended wing to centre bays, each with bipartite window and narrow flanking lights to each floor, centre bay 1st floor with segmental cornices over outer lights and glazed keystoned oculus breaking eaves into wallhead gable. Bipartite window to each floor of recessed outer bays, low flat-roofed single storey extension in re-entrant angle to left.
SE ELEVATION: gabled bay with segmental-corniced oculus (side of stair tower) high up to outer left, and 'INFANTS' entrance to right at ground in doorcase with similarly detailed cornice and semicircular window behind; bipartite window to outer right at 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: mirrors SE elevation.
Small-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash windows. Green slates. Cavetto-coped banded harled stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews with flat skewputts; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: many fine original details retained. Keystoned, segmental-headed openings with small-pane fanlights; plain cornicing; panelled timber dadoes with glazed display cases, and parquet floors. Large central hall with classrooms off; 1st floor oriel windows to staff offices overlooking entrance halls. Glazed ceramic tile dadoes to entrance halls and stairways.
Opened in 1910 for infants, the building was planned to allow for the creation of a second hall over the first, but this was never realised.
Other nearby listed buildings