History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clappers, the Old School House and the Old School Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in East Berwickshire, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7937 / 55°47'37"N

Longitude: -2.087 / 2°5'13"W

OS Eastings: 394645

OS Northings: 655601

OS Grid: NT946556

Mapcode National: GBR F1VF.ZZ

Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.XMDV

Entry Name: Clappers, the Old School House and the Old School Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 24 January 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393893

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46560

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Mordington

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Mordington

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Mordington

Description

Early 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay former school house adjoining earlier to mid 19th century, single storey, 5-bay former school (grouped 3-1-1); extended 1909.

THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE: rectangular-plan with full-height wing at rear forming L-plan; glazed addition in rear re-entrant angle. Heavily-pointed sandstone rubble; droved and stugged sandstone dressings; harled side elevation. Quoins; long and short surrounds to openings. SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight. Single windows flanking entrance at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Former school adjoined to outer left. SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal gable end to left with single window at ground to left. Full-height wing recessed to right with single window at 1st floor off-set to left; glazed addition projecting at ground. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: blind elevation to principal block to left. Full-height, 3-bay wing projecting to right with single windows at ground flanking centre; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Glazed addition in re-entrant angle to left. Former school adjoined to outer right. Modern windows throughout. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Brick-built apex stacks; circular cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

THE OLD SCHOOL: near T-plan with gabled porch in re-entrant angle to front. Predominantly tooled cream sandstone rubble (rake-jointed and squared and snecked in part); stugged and droved sandstone dressings. Quoins; tabbed margins to front; predominantly stop-chamfered openings; chamfered cills. SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay gable end to left with large window at centre; smaller windows in flanking bays; lintels inscribed 'Mordington Public School 1909'. Single window in single storey, gabled projection at centre; part-glazed boarded timber door in return to right. Bipartite window in bay recessed to right. Former school house adjoined to outer right. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting 3-bay gable end to right with large window at centre; smaller windows in flanking bays. 2-bay range recessed to left with gabled dormerhead to large window breaking eaves to right; boarded timber door at ground to left. Former school house adjoined to outer left. Predominantly 4-pane lower, 6-pane upper glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; beak skewputts. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, mono-pitched block to rear of former school with later additions. Rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. Modern roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: corniced, square-plan gatepiers flanking vehicular entrance to the Old School House; modern timber gates. Rubble walls partially enclosing site.

Statement of Interest

Noted in the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT as a '...parochial school, at which fifty children on average are taught reading, writing, arithmetic, &c.' The old school itself is described in the OS Name Book as '...a modern built room adjoining the schoolmaster's house'. Closed in 1945, the old school is now owned by Scottish Borders Council and used as a public hall and the school house is privately owned (1999).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.