This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7742 / 55°46'27"N
Longitude: -2.0984 / 2°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 393925
OS Northings: 653433
OS Grid: NT939534
Mapcode National: GBR F1SN.HY
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.Q4Y8
Entry Name: Edrington Castle Mill
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393894
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46561
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1789 with later additions and alterations. 2 storey with attic, 4-bay, rectangular-plan former flour mill with lower, 3-bay, L-plan wing adjoined to side. Harl-pointed rubble sandstone (weathered in part); tooled rubble dressings. Tooled quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; flush cills.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block to left with doorway at ground off-set to left of centre; roofless, lean-to addition to right; large, segmental-arched opening at ground to outer right with keystone dated '1789(?)'. Boarded openings in all bays at 1st floor; 3 irregularly-spaced, squat, louvred attic openings above. Lower, 3-bay range to right with single openings at ground and 1st floors; inscribed plaque off-set to left of centre; squat, bricked-up attic openings above.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting gable end with boarded openings centred at all floors; dovecot opening in gablehead off-set to left of centre. Blind elevation to projecting wing recessed to right.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block to right with large, segmental-arched opening at ground to left; boarded openings at ground to right; boarded openings at 1st floor (blocked to outer right). Flush, gabled addition to left with boarded openings centred at ground and 1st floors; part bricked-up attic opening aligned above. Blocked openings in full-height wing recessed to outer left.
Grey slate roof to principal block; pantiled roof to lower block (missing in part); stone-coped skews.
INTERIOR: rubble walls; timber joists between floors; open timber roof. Timber stair accessing upper floor. Milling machinery in place with numerous cogs and drives interlocked.
Noted in the OS Name Book as '...a large, rectangular built flour mill on the left bank of the Whiteadder. This mill is modern but is supposed to occupy the same position as the mill belonging to the castle of Edrington commonly called the Cawmills...'. No longer in use and in state of disrepair 1999. The NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT records how the water wheel '...not only drives the mill, but also a thrashing machine, situated upwards 500ft above it, by means of a shaft 600ft long which runs through a tunnel in the rock above.' The mill lade is still in place and although not used since 1937, the building is particularly notable for having retained much of its original machinery. The plaque on the front elevation records the level to which it was submerged during the flood of August 12th 1948. Owned by Cawderstanes House (1999). Although in poor condition, the mill's early date, substantial size and machinery render it a particularly notable structure.
Other nearby listed buildings