This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7955 / 55°47'43"N
Longitude: -2.1161 / 2°6'58"W
OS Eastings: 392817
OS Northings: 655807
OS Grid: NT928558
Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.N9
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.GLKG
Entry Name: 16 Foulden Village
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393905
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46574
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid to later 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical, 2-storey (upper windows breaking eaves), 3-bay, semi-detached cottage forming end of terrace with single storey, 2-bay wing recessed to outer left; lean-to addition at rear. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone; ashlar dressings (droved in part); rubble at rear. Corbelled eaves with dogtooth ornament to principal block; overhanging timber bracketed eaves to side wing. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered margins; timber mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with modern timber door in basket-arched surround centred at ground. Bipartite windows flanking at ground; broken, round-arched pediments with heart-shaped motifs and obelisk finials to single windows breaking eaves in all bays above. Single storey wing recessed to left with boarded timber door to right; bipartite window to left.
uPVC glazing to principal block; 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case window to side wing. Red tile roof with bell-cast eaves to front; plain slates at rear; stone-coped skews; bracketed skewputts. Brick-built ridge and apex stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
B Group comprises '16 Foulden Village', 'Foulden Village, Mansefield' and 'Foulden Village, Cheviot View' - see separate list entries. A well-detailed house, forming the end of a picturesque, Flemish style terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. Details such as the broken pediments and decorative eaves are thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's).
Other nearby listed buildings