This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7955 / 55°47'43"N
Longitude: -2.1156 / 2°6'56"W
OS Eastings: 392849
OS Northings: 655806
OS Grid: NT928558
Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.S9
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.GLSG
Entry Name: Foulden Village, Cheviot View
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393909
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46577
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly later 18th century in origin with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 4-bay house forming end of terrace with single storey and attic, piended wing at rear forming L-plan; later single storey, flat-roofed addition in rear re-entrant angle. Rubble sandstone to front and side; whitewashed rubble at rear; painted margins.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: modern, part-glazed timber panelled door off-set to left of centre; single windows flanking at ground. Broken pediments with crescent motifs and obelisk finials to single windows breaking eaves in all bays above.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to left with circular window at ground off-set to left of centre; single window to right. 2 modern garage doors in piended wing recessed to outer right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated principal block with flat-roofed addition off-set to left of centre. 2-bay piended wing projecting to outer left with single windows in both bays at ground; gabled attic opening centred above.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front; modern windows to side and rear. Red tile roof with fishscale banding to front; plain slates at rear; stone-coped skews. Brick-built ridge and apex stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
B Group comprises '16 Foulden Village', 'Foulden Village, Mansefield' and 'Foulden Village, Cheviot View' - see separate list entries. Marked as 'No 15' on the 1974 OS map. Harl removed 1999, revealing relieving arches and blocked openings. An early, well-detailed house, forming the end of a picturesque terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. Once a schoolmaster's house, it was linked internally to a schoolroom in the adjoining single storey wing to the W (now part of and listed with 'Mansefield'). Details such as the broken pediments are thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's).
Other nearby listed buildings