This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7956 / 55°47'44"N
Longitude: -2.1175 / 2°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 392729
OS Northings: 655822
OS Grid: NT927558
Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.C8
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.FLWB
Entry Name: Foulden Village, Rose Cottage Including Cobbled Walkway
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393911
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46579
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
18th century in origin with mid to later 19th century alterations and additions. Asymmetrical, single storey with attic, 4-bay cottage forming part of terrace. Heavily-pointed rubble at ground to front; cream brick to raised eaves; brick-built dormers; whitewashed rubble at rear. Mutuled string course; corbelled brick eaves course. Sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to openings.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber gothic panelled door off-set to right of centre; timber-bracketed pentice canopy; piended dormer breaking eaves above. Single window at ground to outer right; tripartite window off-set to left of centre. Full-height, hipped projection to outer left with bipartite window at ground; scroll-bracketed sandstone canopy above; projecting tripartite window breaking eaves above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: single window centred at ground; small window in subsequent bay to left; door in bay to outer left.
Predominantly 6-pane glazing in timber windows. Steeply-pitched, red tile roof with fishscale banding to front; plain at rear; skews. Brick-built apex stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
COBBLED WALKWAY: horonised whin-chip to front, forming part of continuous stretch.
Foulden Village B Group comprises 'No 37', 'No 37A', 'Burnbank, Drumoyne & The Old Schoolhouse', 'Rose Cottage', 'Thistle Cottage' and 'Wallflower Cottage' - see separate list entries. Marked as 'No 36' on the 1974 OS map. Forms part of a picturesque, Flemish style terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. A modestly-detailed cottage, particularly notable for its steeply-pitched roof, plain rear elevation and brick eaves. The raising of the cottage is thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's).
Other nearby listed buildings