This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.796 / 55°47'45"N
Longitude: -2.119 / 2°7'8"W
OS Eastings: 392637
OS Northings: 655863
OS Grid: NT926558
Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.14
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.FL52
Entry Name: Foulden Village, Thistle Cottage Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393912
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46580
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly 18th century in origin; altered mid to later 19th century; raised late 19th century; further alterations and additions. Asymmetrical, 2-storey, 2-bay cottage (former smithy house) forming end of terrace with 2-storey wing at rear; further single storey wing beyond. Rubble at ground; tooled cream sandstone rubble at 1st floor (squared and rake-jointed in part); tooled sandstone dressings; harled 2-storey wing at rear; rubble single storey wing beyond. Gable end to front with mutuled string course dividing floors; mutuled skew blocks.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to right with Venetian window centred at ground; round-arched window at 1st floor. Single window at ground in bay recessed to left; plaque embossed 'JBW 1898' aligned above. Segmental-arched canopy linking separate property to outer right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block with modern timber door in bay recessed to outer right; projecting gable end to left with single window centred at ground; round-arched window aligned above. Flat-roofed, 2-storey wing recessed to left with modern door and window at ground; tripartite window at 1st floor. Single storey wing adjoined to outer left with boarded timber door to right; modern garage door to left.
Modern glazing throughout. Grey slate roof; terracotta ridge tiling; stone-coped skews. Dentilled, brick-built ridge and apex stacks; circular cans. Modern pantiles to single storey wing at rear.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, flat-roofed structure to W. Rubble sandstone. SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door to left; single window to right. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walls partially enclosing site.
Foulden Village B Group comprises 'No 37', 'No 37A', 'Burnbank, Drumoyne & The Old Schoolhouse', 'Rose Cottage', 'Thistle Cottage' and 'Wallflower Cottage' - see separate list entries. Marked as 'No 40' on the 1974 OS map. Forms the end of a picturesque, Flemish style terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. A former smithy house, with the former smithy set behind - itself now raised to 2 storeys in part with the remainder converted into a garage. The dentilled string course is thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's). The dated plaque is embossed with the initials of John Wilkie's son, James Bruce Wilkie, suggesting he was responsible for raising the cottage to 2 storeys.
Other nearby listed buildings