History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Foulden Farm, Cartshed and Granary

A Category C Listed Building in Foulden, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7956 / 55°47'44"N

Longitude: -2.1454 / 2°8'43"W

OS Eastings: 390980

OS Northings: 655820

OS Grid: NT909558

Mapcode National: GBR F1GF.B8

Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.0LND

Entry Name: West Foulden Farm, Cartshed and Granary

Listing Date: 24 January 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393916

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46584

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Foulden

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Foulden

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Foulden

Description

Later 19th century with later alterations. 2-storey, 7-bay, rectangular-plan cartshed with forestair to former granary at 1st floor. Tooled cream sandstone rubble; droved sandstone dressings. Quoins; long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.

NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: modern garage doors in segmental-arched cart openings in all bays at ground. Granary openings at upper floor comprising boarded loft door at centre; regularly spaced windows in remaining bays to left and right with fixed 8-pane glazing to upper sections and shuttered timber vents below. Forestair recessed to outer right.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with forestair accessing boarded timber door at 1st floor off-set to right of centre.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: blind at ground. 2 granary openings flanking centre at upper floor with fixed 8-pane glazing to upper sections and shuttered timber vents below.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with square-headed opening centred at ground; pointed-arched window aligned above.

Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Interest

A large and well-detailed cartshed and granary with a particularly good front elevation. The majority of the original farm steading at West Foulden has been demolished/replaced - this cartshed, the former dairy and a brick-built farm chimney (no longer in use) being the only structures of note. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr Henry Hewit Craw as farmer at 'Foulden West Mains' in 1866.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.