History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

33, 35 and 41 Oswald Street

A Category C Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8577 / 55°51'27"N

Longitude: -4.2602 / 4°15'36"W

OS Eastings: 258623

OS Northings: 665032

OS Grid: NS586650

Mapcode National: GBR 0KM.GX

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.J1J7

Entry Name: 33, 35 and 41 Oswald Street

Listing Date: 24 January 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393920

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46591

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

J J Craig, 1901 with later alterations. Near symmetrical, 4-storey, 6-bay, Baroque-detailed warehouse/office block. Red sandstone ashlar; ashlar dressings. Base course; architraved string course between ground and 1st floors; architraved cill courses at 2nd and 3rd floors; mutuled, corniced eaves; coped parapet. Rusticated quoins; Gibbsian surrounds to ground and 3rd floor openings; keystoned, shouldered surrounds to 1st floor windows; keystoned, corniced surrounds to 2nd floor windows with decorative aprons. Sandstone mullions and transoms throughout.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2 bipartite windows centred at ground; large, segmental-arched openings in flanking bays; bipartite window to outer left; single opening to outer right. Regularly fenestrated upper floors with bipartite windows flanking centre; tripartite windows to left and right (columnar mullions and central pediments at 2nd floor); bipartite windows to outer left and right. Shaped pediment centred above dated '1901'.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

Plate glass timber windows with small-pane uppers throughout. Grey slate roof. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Interest

A well-detailed, prominent building forming part of a group of warehouses/offices designed by J J Craig for the iron and steel tube manufacturers and exporters, Stewarts & Lloyds. Dated 1901 and completed in 1903, this is the earliest and finest of Craig's 3 neighbouring buildings - the other 2 having been completed in 1906 and 1910 respectively (still in place 1999). Damaged by fire in 2002. Facade retained during conversion to flats circa 2005.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.