This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8864 / 55°53'11"N
Longitude: -2.158 / 2°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 390215
OS Northings: 665928
OS Grid: NT902659
Mapcode National: GBR F0CC.LQ
Mapcode Global: WH9XW.T9KR
Entry Name: Coldingham, School Road, Robertson Memorial Hall Including Railings, Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393947
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46614
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1900 with later additions and alterations. Single storey, T-plan, gabled church hall set on sloping site, adjoining former St Andrews Free Church to NE. Piended porch in re-entrant angle to NE; later lean-to addition in re-entrant angle to NW. Predominantly coursed and stugged cream sandstone with ashlar dressings; rubble to W; brick-built addition to NW. Base course; quoins.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to left with pointed-arched, inscribed plaque centred at ground with architraved surround and hoodmould; large rose window with stylised tracery aligned above; louvred window centred in gablehead. Piended porch in re-entrant angle to right with boarded timber door; decorative iron hinges. 2-bay range recessed to right with bipartite, shoulder-arched windows in both bays (chamfered cills and mullions). Former church adjoined to outer right.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay slightly advanced at centre with pointed-arched, traceried window breaking eaves; small trefoil opening centred in gablehead. Blind flanking bays. Former church recessed to outer right.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to right with 2 lancet windows flanking centre; louvred window centred in gablehead. Single window in lean-to addition in re-entrant angle to left. 2-bay range recessed to left with single windows in both bays. Former church recessed to outer left.
Predominantly diamond-pane leaded glazing; some stained glass; 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to rear. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; bracketed, gabletted skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: spearheaded iron railings partially enclosing site; iron gatepiers; spearheaded pedestrian gate.
As noted on its plaque, the hall '...was erected by James N McDougall M.D. Coldingham, to the memory of his brother-in-law, the Reverend Andrew Brodie Robertson, minister of this church [St Andrew's] for forty-three years 1856-1899.' Originally associated with and still (1999) adjoining the former St Andrew's Free Church - itself rebuilt in 1870 and now empty. The hall, erected at a cost of ?1000 and gifted with a library, is now in separate ownership and retains some good details - the stylised rose window, shouldered-arched openings and gabletted skewputts being particularly notable. A photograph published by Thomson appears to show the entrance gable as having been whitewashed. It also shows a finial surmounting the S gable (missing 1999).
Other nearby listed buildings