This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8452 / 55°50'42"N
Longitude: -2.2311 / 2°13'51"W
OS Eastings: 385628
OS Northings: 661352
OS Grid: NT856613
Mapcode National: GBR D0VV.SH
Mapcode Global: WH9Y1.PBSW
Entry Name: Fairlaw House Including Former Cartshed, Store, Ancillary Structure and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393953
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46622
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Original block dated 1767 with later wing to front; lower wing adjoined to side dated 1848; further additions and alterations. Asymmetrical 2-storey, near L-plan house with classical details comprising 2-storey, rectangular-plan former principal block at centre; 2-storey, 2-bay wing set at right angles to front at left (entrance block); single storey, 3-bay addition recessed to right with lean-to addition to outer right; various single storey additions at rear. Predominantly harl-pointed rubble; cream sandstone dressings; rendered in part at rear. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. Single storey, rectangular-plan former cartshed and separate store at rear (formerly part of steading). Single storey with attic ancillary block to SE.
E (ENTRANCE/FORMER SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay block to left with steps to timber panelled door at ground to right; 2-pane fanlight; pilastered and pedimented doorpiece; single window aligned at 1st floor; single windows at both floors to left. Full-height gabled wing projecting to right with blocked window at 1st floor to left; blocked, part-obscured, round-arched window centred above; small attic light centred in gablehead. Lower gabled wing adjoined to front with full-width, single storey, lean-to addition at ground (porch and store); single window centred in gablehead. Various single storey additions recessed to outer right.
S (SIDE/FORMER ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: original block at centre with single windows at both floors in both bays; plaque inscribed 'W.F M.B 1767' centred at 1st floor. Full-height, gabled wing projecting to left with single widows at both floors to left; small attic light centred in gablehead. Single storey range recessed to outer right with steps to flush-panelled timber door with integral glazing to left; scroll-bracketed sandstone canopy; single windows in both bays to right; plaque dated '1848' off-set to right of centre; single storey, lean-to addition to outer right with square-plan sundial on sandstone ledge to front.
W (REAR/FORMER SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end to outer left with single windows at ground in both bays; single window at 1st floor to right; round-arched attic light centred in gablehead. Later range adjoined to right with small window at ground to left; single windows at both floors in 2 remaining bays to right.
N (SIDE/FORMER REAR) ELEVATION: original block with various additions off-set to left and right of centre. Lower wing projecting to outer left.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; stone-coped skews; scrolled skewputts in part. Pantiled roof with slate easing course to porch. Corniced sandstone ridge and apex stacks; various circular and octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: timber panelled doors throughout; various fireplaces. Good decorative plasterwork. Remainder not seen 1999.
FORMER CARTSHED: apparently 18th century in origin. Long, single storey, rectangular-plan former cartshed to rear. Rubble with red brick later repairs/alterations. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: large square-headed opening to outer left; 4 arched openings to right (blocked to outer left and right). E (REAR) ELEVATION: blind. Corrugated-iron roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
STORE: much extended single storey store/garage at rear, adjoining steading complex. Rubble in part; breeze-blocks to remainder. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: door to outer left; single window to right; large garage opening to outer right. Corrugated-iron roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY RANGE TO SE: single storey with attic, irregular-plan block comprising near L-plan range to left; rectangular-plan block adjoined to right. Predominantly rubble with sandstone dressings; red brick in part. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: L-plan block with gable end to right with boarded timber door at ground to left; boarded attic opening centred above. Lean-to addition recessed to right linking gabled block recessed to outer right with garage door centred in gable end; boarded timber door to right. S (REAR/GARDEN) ELEVATION: near M-gabled range to left with boarded timber door centred at ground; single windows in flanking bays. Full-height block recessed to outer right with modern addition in re-entrant angle to front. Small-pane timber windows. Grey slate roofs; scrolled skewputts in part. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GARDEN WALLS: coped walls partially enclosing site. Rectangular-plan, modern greenhouse to SE.
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a modern built dwelling house and farm steading...occupied by the proprietor, William Home Esq" - "modern" referring to the 1848 extension, ignoring the earlier fabric. Rutherfurd's notes William Home Esq, J P and John Home junior as joint owners and resident here in 1866. The majority of the farm steading is now in separate ownership (1999).
Other nearby listed buildings