This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8354 / 55°50'7"N
Longitude: -2.1944 / 2°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 387921
OS Northings: 660253
OS Grid: NT879602
Mapcode National: GBR F03Z.Q0
Mapcode Global: WH9Y2.8L9D
Entry Name: Ferneycastle Farmhouse Including Ancillary Structure, Garden Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393954
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46623
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Early 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with projecting porch at front; lower 2-storey wing at rear with further single and 2-storey additions to N and W respectively; single storey addition to side. Principal block with coursed and tooled cream sandstone to front; harl-pointed rubble to sides and rear; rendered, harled and tooled rubble sandstone to rear additions. Base course; predominantly projecting cills. Single storey ancillary structure to W.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single window in single storey, lean-to porch projecting at centre; single windows flanking at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Single storey glazed addition recessed to outer left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end to left with single windows at both floors in both bays; small attic light centred in gablehead; lean-to porch recessed to left with timber panelled door; 4-pane fanlight. Lower wing recessed to right with 3 single windows at ground; gabled dormerheads to single windows breaking eaves in 2 bays above. Single storey, lean-to addition to outer right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: piended projection at centre with lower addition to right; single storey additions to front. Blind elevation to principal block recessed to outer left; single storey addition recessed to outer right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to right with single window at ground to right; single storey projection at ground to left; single window at 1st floor off-set to left of centre; small attic light centred in gablehead. Lower 2-storey wing recessed to left with full-width, irregularly fenestrated lower addition to front; single storey, lean-to addition to outer left.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some modern windows at rear. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Rendered apex stacks to principal block; sandstone ridge stack at rear; various cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, 2-bay rubble block with 2-bay rendered addition to N. Grey slate piended roof.
GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS: high rubble walls partially enclosing site including tall, sloping wall to E. Pyramidal-capped, square-plan gatepiers; gates missing.
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a very commodious farm house, 2 stories [sic] high with suitable offices." Rutherfurd's notes a Mr David Logan as farmer here in 1866. Marked as 'Farney Castle' on the 1860 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings