This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8747 / 55°52'29"N
Longitude: -2.1228 / 2°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 392413
OS Northings: 664627
OS Grid: NT924646
Mapcode National: GBR F0MH.6X
Mapcode Global: WH9XX.CLCP
Entry Name: Hallydown House Including Walled Garden and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393961
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46629
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Later 18th century with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey with basement, 3-bay, classical house with perron stair centred at front; single storey wing at rear forming near L-plan. Predominantly whitewashed harl; whitewashed, coursed render to side (NE); sandstone ashlar dressings (painted in part). Lintel course at basement; modillioned, corniced eaves. Rusticated quoins to front (flush at basement and rear); architraved margins at ground to front; plain margins to remainder. Squat windows at basement and 1st floor; predominantly projecting cills. Near square-plan walled garden to SW.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting perron stair oversailing basement at centre with stone treads, foliate wrought-iron uprights, iron handrails. Stair accessing timber panelled door centred at ground; radial fanlight; architraved surround with consoled cornice. Single basement windows in bays flanking centre; large, corniced windows aligned at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end to right with single window at basement to right; painted imitation window aligned above; single window at ground to left. Single storey, 2-bay wing recessed to left with boarded timber door to right; single window to left.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with large, round-arched stair window at centre; single windows at all floors to right (blocked opening at ground); single storey addition projecting to left; single window aligned at 1st floor. Modern conservatory recessed to outer left.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to left with modern conservatory projecting at centre; single window at ground off-set to left. Single storey addition adjoined to outer right.
6- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 6-pane tilting windows at 1st floor; stained border-glazing to stair window at rear. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Painted brick-built apex stacks; various cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
WALLED GARDEN: near square-plan walled garden (approximately 900m?) to W, extending from house in E corner. Rubble-coped rubble walls; square-headed pedestrian entrance to NE with iron gate.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble walls partially enclosing site.
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a neat and good farmhouse, pleasantly situated on an eminence...there is a garden, extensive offices, cottages and a large farm attached." A prominently sited, well-detailed house - the perron stair, corniced openings and modillioned eaves being of note. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr John McGall as farmer at Hallydown in 1866. The house and the nearby steading and farm cottages are now in separate ownership (1999).
Other nearby listed buildings