This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8521 / 55°51'7"N
Longitude: -2.2046 / 2°12'16"W
OS Eastings: 387285
OS Northings: 662119
OS Grid: NT872621
Mapcode National: GBR F01S.H0
Mapcode Global: WH9Y2.35FJ
Entry Name: Reston, Reston Primary School Including Boundary Walls, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393985
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46654
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1897 with later additions and alterations. Single storey complex comprising symmetrical, 7-bay, principal range grouped 2-3-2; gabled wing at rear forming L-plan with polygonal projection to side; later single storey additions at rear; substantial flat-roofed addition to side. Coursed and bull-faced cream sandstone to front; squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone to sides and rear; ashlar dressings. Base course; moulded eaves. Narrow quoin strips; long and short quoins and surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Brick-built addition to side; harled additions at rear.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled bay slightly advanced at centre with 3 large, segmental-arched windows at ground; circular window centred above; round-arched opening in scroll-bracketed, pedimented bellcote surmounting gable; inscribed panel set below. Bipartite windows in remaining bays to left and right. Polygonal projection recessed to outer right. Flat-roofed addition recessed to outer left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to right with 3 large, segmental-arched windows at ground; circular window centred above; flat-roofed addition to front.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with various additions to front; gabled wing projecting to left; polygonal projection recessed to outer left. Modern, gabled block adjoined to right; flat-roofed addition to outer right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to left with 3 large segmental-arched windows at ground; circular window centred above. Lower wing to right with single windows in polygonal projection to left; timber door in bay recessed to right. Modern additions recessed to outer right.
Timber windows to original block; modern windows to remainder. Grey slate roof; sandstone ridging; stone-coped skews with kneelers; bracketed skewputts. Iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATES: arched coping to rubble walls enclosing site with plain iron railings above. Finialled gatepiers; iron gates.
Formerly Reston Public School, set to the N of the old village school - see separate list entry, 'Reston, The Old School House'. Erected by the School Board of Coldingham Parish and opened on 6th October, 1897. A design very similar to that of the nearby Coldingham Primary School, built by the same school board 4 years earlier - see separate list entry, 'Coldingham, School Road, Coldingham Primary School'.
Other nearby listed buildings