This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9032 / 55°54'11"N
Longitude: -2.1436 / 2°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 391120
OS Northings: 667796
OS Grid: NT911677
Mapcode National: GBR F0G5.QQ
Mapcode Global: WH9XQ.1WJD
Entry Name: St Abb's Head, the Ranger's House and Office
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394000
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46663
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Early 20th century with later additions and alterations. Single storey with attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan crowstepped house. Harled; red sandstone ashlar dressings. Eaves course; sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to roll-moulded openings; projecting cills throughout. Separate single storey, rectangular-plan office (former kennel) to S.
HOUSE, SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; 3-pane fanlight; generous single windows in flanking bays. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with single windows centred at both floors. NW (REAR) ELEVATION: single window centred at ground; single window in tall box dormer breaking eaves above. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with single windows centred at both floors. Predominantly 18-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; plate glass and 12-pane windows at rear. Grey slate roof; crowstepped skews; scroll-bracketed skewputts. Coped sandstone ridge stack off-set to left of centre; harled stack off-set to right; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
OFFICE: single storey, 3-bay crowstepped block with later single storey addition to right. Whitewashed harl; red sandstone ashlar dressings. Eaves course; sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to roll-moulded openings; projecting cills throughout. NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door centred at ground with small windows flanking; crowstepped projections to outer left and right. 2-leaf boarded timber door in later wing to outer right. SE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated 3-bay block to right. Single windows in later 2-bay block to left. Small-pane timber glazing; modern rooflights. Grey slate roofs; crowstepped skews to original block; scroll-bracketed skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: converted for use as office.
Presently occupied by the Ranger of St Abb's Head (1999). Said to have formed part of the Northfield House estate - see separate list entry, 'St Abbs, Northfield House'. The 1908 OS map shows a pheasantry to the W of what is now the Ranger's House, suggesting the house was originally occupied by the estate's gamekeeper. The map also marks that which is now the Ranger's Office as a kennel. Both buildings retain some good details.
Other nearby listed buildings