This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8763 / 55°52'34"N
Longitude: -2.1492 / 2°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 390764
OS Northings: 664800
OS Grid: NT907648
Mapcode National: GBR F0FH.HC
Mapcode Global: WH9XW.YKRJ
Entry Name: Whitecross Farm, Cartshed and Granary
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394005
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46667
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Later 19th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 9-bay (7-bay at 1st floor), rectangular-plan cartshed built into hillside with forestair to former granary at 1st floor. Heavily-pointed sandstone rubble (brick repairs in part); sandstone dressings. Tooled quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; stop-chamfered cart openings; projecting cills.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber stable door at ground in penultimate bay to outer right; boarded windows in flanking bays; boarded timber stable door in subsequent bay to left. Segmental-arched cart openings in 5 remaining bays at ground to left. Regularly-spaced, squat, boarded openings at upper floor. Forestair recessed to outer left. Single storey addition recessed to outer right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with forestair accessing boarded timber door centred at 1st floor. Adjoining wall to left.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey, 7-bay, built into hillside. Regularly-spaced, squat boarded openings in all bays. Single storey addition to outer left. Coped wall recessed to outer right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with single storey addition off-set to right of centre. Boarded timber door centred at 1s floor.
Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Squat brick-built stack to W.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
An unusual cartshed and granary with its banked form giving ground level access to the granary. This is the only part of the original steading left standing at Whitecross - the remainder having been demolished and replaced with modern structures. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr Robert Wood as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings