This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2088 / 56°12'31"N
Longitude: -3.1113 / 3°6'40"W
OS Eastings: 331163
OS Northings: 702359
OS Grid: NO311023
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.DWGC
Mapcode Global: WH6RH.56PL
Plus Code: 9C8R6V5Q+GF
Entry Name: Dalginch Farm Steading with Horse Mill
Listing Date: 1 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394052
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46711
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
Early to earlier 19th century, and probably mid to later 19th century. Rectangular-plan, traditional 'improvement', courtyard steading with horse mill and projecting W wing. Snecked sandstone rubble with dressed ashlar quoins and voussoirs, and whinstone rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings.
E RANGE: pantiled, double piended byre running N-S.
COURTYARD (W) ELEVATION: recessed bay with segmental cart arch to outer left, and broad opening to outer right.
S ELEVATION: pedestrian opening to right with small piended projection beyond.
E ELEVATION: variety of openings, and semi-derelict range projecting to outer right.
N RANGE: slated cartshed and granary.
COURTYARD (S) ELEVATION: 5 segmental cart arches with hayloft openings above, larger opening over centre arch.
W RANGE: 2-storey corrugated range to N, lower slated range to S (probably altered).
COURTYARD (E) ELEVATION: variety of openings including full-height sliding timber door to right of centre and partly blocked segmental arch in lower bay to left. Lower bay projecting to outer left.
S ELEVATION: piend-roofed bay with door to left and small opening to centre above, lower blank recessed bay to right of centre.
W ELEVATION: bays to left of centre with tiny arrowslit type openings and horse mill (see below) to outer left. Bays to right with sliding timber door to segmental cart arch, further door to outer right and 2 tiny openings above.
HORSE MILL: circular; slated conical roof over broad piers of large blocks of squared sandstone rubble. 3 openings blocked with timber, 4th opening to S remains open.
PROJECTING W RANGE: probably later, tiled whinstone range, and slightly higher pantiled range with variety of openings to S including 2 partly blocked segmental arches.
Group with Dalginch Farmhouse. In 1838 the NSA recorded "General Balfour of Balbirnie (as) proprietor of Dalguinch (sic)".
Other nearby listed buildings