This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5169 / 55°31'1"N
Longitude: -2.3614 / 2°21'41"W
OS Eastings: 377277
OS Northings: 624858
OS Grid: NT772248
Mapcode National: GBR C4YN.K4
Mapcode Global: WH8YD.PLQH
Plus Code: 9C7VGJ8Q+QC
Entry Name: Morebattle, Former United Free Church
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394060
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46725
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Kelso and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Thomas Pilkington, 1866 with substantial alterations (and change of use). Single storey 4-bay aisled church, now much altered with interior fittings removed. Squared and coursed whinstone with stugged, droved and polished ashlar dressings; whinstone rubble to S
elevation with sandstone ashlar dressings. Flush ashlar quoins.
NE ELEVATION: 2-bay grouped to centre, gabled with paired windows at ground in bay to inner right with ogival, Moorish-arched windows and intermediate lozenge-shaped panel above with floriate carving; string course swept over panel with fleur-de-lys to upper point. Ornate foliate design to cornice between central 2 bays. Bay to inner right formerly similar, now with opening at ground with iron joist-lintel and concrete blinding of arch-heads, panel in place.
Circular panel between 2 bays with floriate carving. 4 trefoil lights to hoodmoulded rose window set in gablehead with carved gentian-like and foliate radiating mullions. Outer buttresses to central bays, chamfered above ground with foliate corbelling
below skew ends. Aisle to outer left set back slightly with paired lancets with arches as above; intermediate quatrefoil light above. Bay to outer right slightly set back from centre 2-bay group; 2-leaf boarded door set in shoulder-arched doorpiece flanked by short foliate-capitaled columns each on pedestal, supporting ogee-arched (as above) and gable doorpiece. Chamfered corner with rolled foliate corbelling below eaves-height.
NW ELEVATION: not seen fully. Gabled bay to outer left with bipartite window and quatrefoil window to gablehead. Gabled
bellcote to apex, with large ashlar fleur-de-lys finial.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled with single storey platform and piended addition to centre with bipartite window directly beneath rose window to gablehead above; further window to outer right of addition. Shoulder-arched boarded door to return (E) elevation.
Clear diamond-paned Leaded lights. Slate roof. Ashlar sawtooth coped skews. Ashlar fleur-de-lys finial to gablehead of central 2-bay group of principal elevation. Ashlar coped apex stack to S elevation.
INTERIOR: scissor-trussed roof; high ceiling; cast-iron columns supporting roof; coloured glass to each rose window. Engine-pit in recent years dug into floor.
Although Thomas Pilkington had effectively retired, in 1860, from the Edinburgh architectural practice which he had established and run with his son, Frederick
Thomas, he still carried out the occasional ecclesiastical commission, of which this is one. The foundation stone was laid in June 1865. Stylistically there are similarities between this building and that which FT Pilkington designed
in Innerleithen, particularly the chose of decorative, Moorish ogival arches to the openings. The church is currently used as a heavy vehicle garage, 1995. To see the church when still in ecclesiastical use, ref. RX/1821 (NMRS), from circa 1930.
Other nearby listed buildings