History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ferry Road, Bridge over Former Railway

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9721 / 55°58'19"N

Longitude: -3.2016 / 3°12'5"W

OS Eastings: 325101

OS Northings: 676102

OS Grid: NT251761

Mapcode National: GBR 8L6.ZP

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.S5L2

Entry Name: Ferry Road, Bridge over Former Railway

Listing Date: 25 February 2000

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394090

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46730

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Forth

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

Grainger and Miller, circa 1840. Monumental bridge carrying Ferry Road over former Edinburgh, Granton and Leith railway line (now cycle track). Bull-faced coursed sandstone (smooth to parapet and inner arch of bridge), radially treated in spandrels. Depressed-arched opening to bridge, flanked by battered pilasters, their entablatures continued as parapets above.

Statement of Interest

Grainger and Miller's plan shows the railway coming from Waverley (via the Scotland Street Tunnel), passing under the back gardens of Nos 3-9 York Road (then known as Tower Park Cottage, Trinity Villa and Myrtle Bank), under Lennox Row and continuing directly to the Chain Pier, which was to be made into a harbour with dry dock, wet dock and break-water. In fact, after passing through the tunnel and under Lennox Row, the railway as built (for the Perth and Dundee Railway Company) curved round to Granton harbour, and the extensions to the Chain Pier were not built. An associated plan drawn up by George Angus shows the already existing houses in the path of, and immediately bordering the path of the proposed railway (including Grecian Cottage and Seaforth Cottage in Lennox Row and the three Gothic Cottages in Russell Place), and is annotated with 'deteriorations' in value to these houses. A plan of 1845 by Thomas Grainger shows a planned 'extension' running from the line of the railway to the Chain Pier.

Up-graded C(S) to B 17/10/01.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.