History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27 Primrose Bank Road, with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9789 / 55°58'44"N

Longitude: -3.2104 / 3°12'37"W

OS Eastings: 324564

OS Northings: 676874

OS Grid: NT245768

Mapcode National: GBR 8K4.66

Mapcode Global: WH6SD.NZFC

Entry Name: 27 Primrose Bank Road, with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 25 February 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394097

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46740

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Forth

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

Circa 1895. 2 storey, 2-bay T-plan Arts and Crafts cottage, perhaps by Hippolyte Blanc. Snecked and squared bull-faced red sandstone with polished dressings; projecting base course; bracketted overhanging eaves with bargeboarding.

N (PRIMROSE BANK) ELEVATION: jerkin-headed bay to left; corniced tripartite window with projecting cornice above to ground floor, bipartite window in gable above; trefoil decoration in bracketted bargeboarding. Bipartite windows at ground and 1st floors in right bay, breaking eaves in swept roof above.

E ELEVATION: entrance in lean-to slate-roofed wooden porch, small window under eaves above; single window at ground floor to left.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: narrow bay to left with single windows at ground and breaking eaves with swept roof at 1st floor. Advanced central bay with pitched roof to W and S, gable to E; single windows at ground and breaking eaves above to W, later French doors to S; rear entrance in single storey pitch-roofed extension to right.

Regular fenestration, predominantly 9-pane above, plate glass below in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates with terracotta ridge. Asymmetrically placed corniced stone stacks with circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: ashlar gatepiers with chamfered corners and corniced pyramidal caps.

Statement of Interest

The land upon which this house stands was originally intended for a manse for Wardie Church, but was sold in 1889 by the Managers in order to raise money for the building of the church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.