History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

16 and 18 Primrose Bank Road, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9791 / 55°58'44"N

Longitude: -3.2082 / 3°12'29"W

OS Eastings: 324701

OS Northings: 676893

OS Grid: NT247768

Mapcode National: GBR 8K4.M4

Mapcode Global: WH6SD.PZG7

Entry Name: 16 and 18 Primrose Bank Road, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 25 February 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394100

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46742

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Forth

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

A Hunter Crawford, 1894, with later alterations and additions. 2-storey and attic 6-bay pair of semi-detached houses with Tudor Collegiate details. 'Purpose made red Midland brick' with cream sandstone dressings. Stone base course and cill band at 1st floor to front; swept roof with overhanging eaves.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: houses symmetrical apart from gable to outer right containing tripartite stone-mullioned window with small leaded panes. Outer bays with scalloped parapets above full-height canted windows; narrow sections of wallplane stepped back at quoins with small windows on each floor. Central bays contain decoratively boarded doors with ashlar stop-chamfered Tudor-arched surrounds and flanking small windows (2 each) to inner side; paired quadripartite mullioned windows with leaded panes and stained glass, off-set towards centre at 1st floor; flat-roofed dormers above, 2 to left and 1 to right.

E ELEVATIONS: 2 asymmetrically placed windows at each floor; piend-roofed lower 2-storey bay with later garage; stepped gable with integral chimneys bridged at centre.

W ELEVATION: altered with addition of conservatory and garage.

REAR ELEVATION: some unsympathetic alteration.

Windows predominantly timber sash and case with small panes (4 or 6) above and plate glass below; dormers and other small windows small paned casements. Grey slate swept roof; stone coped skews and stacks; terracotta circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: stone coped squared and snecked low walls curved to capped gatepiers at central pedestrian gates.

Statement of Interest

Built by A Hunter Crawford for Wm Crawford, Merchant, 17 Inverleith Gardens. In 1901, when alterations to No 16 (known as 'Wareika'), drawn up by Anderson Simon and Crawford, Architects were registered at Leith Dean of Guild, A Hunter Crawford was himself living at No 18 (known as 'The Nook').

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.