This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.549 / 55°32'56"N
Longitude: -4.5585 / 4°33'30"W
OS Eastings: 238692
OS Northings: 631343
OS Grid: NS386313
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.RGSJ
Mapcode Global: WH3QG.YSGD
Entry Name: Symington Road North, Symington School (Former) Including Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 1 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394132
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46776
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Symington (S Ayrshire)
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Parish: Symington (S Ayrshire)
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James and Robert S Ingram of Kilmarnock, 1876 with later additions and alterations. Symmetrically-fronted, single storey with attic, 5-bay, T-plan former school with single storey, flat-roofed additions to side and rear. Tooled grey sandstone; cream sandstone quoins and tabbed margins.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: finialled gable end slightly advanced at centre with large window centred at ground; circular attic opening centred in gablehead; polygonal ridge vent set behind with tapering spire and decorative finial. Single windows
in remaining bays recessed to left and right. Blind elevation to flat-roofed addition to outer left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: finialled gable end projecting to left with large window centred at ground; circular attic opening centred in gablehead. Wing recessed to right with lean-to porch (?) projecting to left; single window to right. Flat-roofed addition to outer right.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: finialled gable end projecting at centre; principal range recessed to outer left and right with lean-to additions in re-entrant angles. Various flat-roofed additions to front and side.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: finialled gable end projecting to right with single window centred at ground; circular attic opening centred in gablehead. Wing recessed to left with lean-to porch
(?) projecting to right; single window to left. Various flat-roofed additions to front and side.
Window openings boarded up (1999); louvred attic openings. Grey slate roof with fishscale banding; decorative terracotta ridging (missing in part); stone-coped skews; gabletted skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble sandstone walls enclosing site (former playground); wall stepped to front with fleur-de-lys finialled iron railings above. Rectangular-plan, stop-chamfered sandstone gatepiers flanking entrances to N and S with gabletted caps; fleur-de-lys finialled iron gates.
Empty and no longer in use 1999. Prominently sited fronting one of the main roads into Symington village, this former school retains some good detailing - the polygonal vent, decorative ridging and original boundary walls and railings being of particular note. In 1875 James Ingram was still working alone (see separate list entry Hurlford Kirk, Riccarton Parish), making this work at Symington one of his earliest collaborations with Robert S Ingram.
Other nearby listed buildings