This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1291 / 57°7'44"N
Longitude: -2.1054 / 2°6'19"W
OS Eastings: 393718
OS Northings: 804243
OS Grid: NJ937042
Mapcode National: GBR SBF.P8
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.M2NM
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Footbridge over Upper Lake
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394136
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46780
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kincorth/Nigg/Cove
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1883. 3-span, flat-arched bridge over Upper Lake. Rough-faced battered grey Aberdeen-bond piers rising through parapet, supporting cast-iron arches; decorative ironwork brackets and parapet railings, Lion Rampant to centre of N and S parapets; gently spayed wing walls.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play..." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The decorative cast-iron foot bridge was part of the original design for the Duthie Park, appearing on the early concept plans, and surviving largely intact.
Other nearby listed buildings