This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1299 / 57°7'47"N
Longitude: -2.1011 / 2°6'3"W
OS Eastings: 393977
OS Northings: 804330
OS Grid: NJ939043
Mapcode National: GBR SC1.BP
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.P2N0
Plus Code: 9C9V4VHX+WH
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Fountain
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394137
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46781
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Macdonald & Co., circa 1883. Pink Peterhead granite fountain in circular pool with rolled edge; rusticated circular base rising to polished plinth ornamented with 4 swan spouts; polished basin above, narrow shaft to centre surmounted by small basin with copper spout.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play...." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The fountain was included in the original concept design for the park. The contrast between high polish, rubble base and carved swans shows off the variety of granite masonry techniques.
Other nearby listed buildings