This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1314 / 57°7'52"N
Longitude: -2.1069 / 2°6'25"W
OS Eastings: 393624
OS Northings: 804500
OS Grid: NJ936045
Mapcode National: GBR SB6.GV
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.L0XV
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394139
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46783
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1898. Grey granite triangular obelisk memorial to Gordon Highlanders. Tooled plinth narrowing to corniced obelisk, Gordon Highlanders crest to each elevation, including "Bydand" (their motto "stand fast"), surmounted by grotesque masks.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play..." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The Gordon Highlanders Monument is one of two in the Duthie Park. This memorial was built in memory of those who died serving in India between January 1892 and November 1898.
Other nearby listed buildings