This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1313 / 57°7'52"N
Longitude: -2.1046 / 2°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 393763
OS Northings: 804493
OS Grid: NJ937044
Mapcode National: GBR SBJ.JH
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.M0ZW
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Taylor Well
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394140
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46784
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 19th century. Rectangular-plan finely finished grey granite well incorporating drinking fountain, and dog basin to E and trough to W, fed respectively by lion and leopard masks from the Aberdeen coat of arms. Scrolled pediment dividing drinking fountain and trough, inscription to E reading "Erected to the memory of Alexander Taylor, Merchant in Aberdeen by his daughter, Jane Forbes Taylor, Morkeu, Cults" and the to W reading "He prayeth best who loveth best all things both great and small", surmounted by urn with carved masks.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play..." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The combination of drinking fountain and troughs for animals, like this one, became popular in the mid to late 19th century. The RSPCA's support of the introduction of troughs, especially for cattle and horses who were worked particularly hard, meant their numbers dramatically increased, although few survive today. The Taylor Well was originally at the junction of Great Northern Road and Clifton Road.
Other nearby listed buildings