This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1313 / 57°7'52"N
Longitude: -2.106 / 2°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 393683
OS Northings: 804493
OS Grid: NJ936044
Mapcode National: GBR SBB.SF
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.M0CW
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Temperance Drinking Fountain, Including Urns
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394141
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46785
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
James Hunter, 1883. Polished granite temperance drinking fountain. Circular plinth set on flagstones, tooled inscriptions reading "In commemoration of the advance of temperance under the auspices of the Aberdeen Temperance Society in the year 1882" and "Thou givest them water for their thirst, IPH 9-20"; polished pink granite basin, with 3 granite columns supporting grey granite canopy, spherical finial. Square pink granite plinths supporting pink granite urns to N, W and E of fountain.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, and Taylor Well (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play..." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The temperance drinking fountain was included in the original plans for the Duthie Park, its aim being to provide uncontaminated water as an alternative to alcohol. In the 19th century tea and coffee were still expensive luxuries, and therefore were not attainable by the working classes, beer and spirits, however, were available and affordable. This led to the siting of temperance drinking fountains in public places, such as the Duthie Park, or alternatively near public houses, so as to tempt people away from the evils of drink. They were also usually accompanied by an uplifting verse, such as the one on the Duthie Park fountain.
Other nearby listed buildings