History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

62 and 64 Polmuir Road, Including Steps and Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1331 / 57°7'59"N

Longitude: -2.1032 / 2°6'11"W

OS Eastings: 393854

OS Northings: 804691

OS Grid: NJ938046

Mapcode National: GBR SBQ.Z5

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.NZP2

Entry Name: 62 and 64 Polmuir Road, Including Steps and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 29 February 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394169

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46799

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

G Sutherland, circa 1900. 2-sotrey and attic, 4 bay mirrored pair of 2-bay houses. Tooled coursed grey granite, finely finished to margins. Rough-faced base course; cill course to 1st floor; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2 wide flights of steps ascend to 2 round-arched doorways in centre 2 bays of ground floor, deeply chamfered, decorative inverted Art Nouveau horseshoe surrounds with keystone detail, panelled timber segmental-arched doors with glazed upper panel, flanked to left and right by glazed panels, elaborate stained glass fanlights, flanked by 2 smaller glass panels to left and right; window above each doorway; canted windows through ground and 1st floors of gableted bays to outer left and right, bulls-eye opening set in gablehead to attic with decorative surround, iron finial to apex; modern skylight to centre of attic.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: gabled.

W ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

Predominantly 2-pane PVCu windows except to attic floor. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALL: low coped granite boundary wall to E.

Statement of Interest

George Sutherland (1861-1927) was a pupil of Pirie and Clyne and also Ellis and Wilson, both of which were prestigious Aberdeen architectural partnerships. The influence of Pirie and Clyne is easily recognisable in the deeply chamfered inverted horseshoe doorways which can be seen in many of their buildings, notably those in Hamilton Place (see separate listings). The unusual name of Polmuir came from the original site of the Duthie Park, which was a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, and the surrounding area has since taken on the name of "Polmuir".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.