History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Street, Council Offices (Former Cowan Institute)

A Category C Listed Building in Penicuik, Midlothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8265 / 55°49'35"N

Longitude: -3.2206 / 3°13'14"W

OS Eastings: 323633

OS Northings: 659922

OS Grid: NT236599

Mapcode National: GBR 51Y2.K6

Mapcode Global: WH6T5.HTM6

Entry Name: High Street, Council Offices (Former Cowan Institute)

Listing Date: 9 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394189

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46821

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Penicuik

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Penicuik

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Penicuik

Description

Campbell Douglas & Morrison, dated 1893. 2-storey, basement and attic, 6-bay rectangular-plan, Scots Renaissance former Cowan Institute. Stugged, squared and snecked pink sandstone with roll-moulded polished dressings to principal elevation, chamfered droved dressings to remainder. Base course; dividing band course; projecting cills; moulded eaves course; crowstepped gables.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; zig-zag carved dividing band course between ground and 1st floors with carved thistles, roses and shamrock; ogee-arched doorway in 3rd bay from right, with 2-leaf panelled timber door and 3-light fanlight; windows to 2 bays to right; regular fenestration to 3 bays to right of 1st floor, broken pediment to 3rd window from right, carved strapwork panels to 2 windows flanking to right; 2 pedimented dormers to attic floor. 4-leaf panelled timber door to ground floor of penultimate bay to left surmounted by tooled Scottish heraldic panel, flanked by 2 small stained glass windows; windows between ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right, tooled panel above that to right reading 'AD 1893', broken pediment above that to left; tripartite window above doorway with 3 strapwork pediments; balustraded balcony with crests of Scotland, England and Ireland underneath; bipartite window set in gablehead. Ogee-roofed, octagonal tower to centre of attic floor with louvred round-arched openings, projecting clock on ironwork brackets added 1901.

SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay with 3-bay addition to right; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of 3 bays to left, irregular fenestration and doorway to basement; bipartite window to ground floor of centre bay, single window above; round-arched windows to ground floor of 3 bays to right, 2 windows to 1st floor of 3rd bay from right.

SE ELEVATION: not seen, 1999.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay with 3-bay addition to left; gabled bay with tall window with broken pediment to outer right, window set in gablehead; regular fenestration to 4 bays to left, irregular openings to remainder.

Predominantly 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1999.

Statement of Interest

Designed as the Cowan Institute for the Cowan family, who had originally intended to use F T Pilkington as the architect. The detailing is of high quality. The 1901 clock is a copy of the Canongate Tollbooth clock, which was opposite the family's town house in Edinburgh.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.