History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Leonard's Place, Archway Motors, Former St Leonard's Mill

A Category C Listed Building in Kinghorn, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0718 / 56°4'18"N

Longitude: -3.1748 / 3°10'29"W

OS Eastings: 326963

OS Northings: 687176

OS Grid: NT269871

Mapcode National: GBR 29.PDP7

Mapcode Global: WH6S1.6NF4

Entry Name: St Leonard's Place, Archway Motors, Former St Leonard's Mill

Listing Date: 9 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394236

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46860

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kinghorn

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kinghorn

Description

Late 18th century, enlarged 1838. 2-storey, 9-bay, rectangular-plan, flat-roofed former flax mill with vaulted interior. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble with droved ashlar quoins. Eaves cornice and blocking course. Segmental-headed opening.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf doors to segmental-headed arch at ground with blinded opening above in penultimate bay to right, and blocked opening to outer right at ground. 7 windows to left at each floor.

NW ELEVATION: regular fenestration to rear elevation.

SE ELEVATION: single storey elevation with slated pitched roof. 2-leaf panelled timber door to centre with blocked doors in flanking bays.

Small-pane glazing patterns to 1st floor SE and NW, mostly plate glass glazing in timber windows to ground SE.

INTERIOR: shallow brick barrel-vaults, rendered, on cast-iron columns, narrower columns to further vaulted 1st floor.

Statement of Interest

The OSA comments upon "a manufacture (which) had sprung up, which promises fair at present to render Kinghorn one of the most flourishing towns upon the coast of Fife; this is, the teasing, and rolling, and spinning of cotton and flax, by means of the Arkwright and Darlington machinery", (p239). At that time there were 4 mills already running and a fifth planned for the same year. By 1845 St Leonard's flax spinning mill employed over 300 workers. It was taken over and improved by Messrs Swan of Kirkcaldy who also owned other mills in Kinghorn. However, flax spinning ceased here in 1865, and in all Swans' mills by 1886. The building was unused until 1900, and is now (1999) engineering premises. St Leonard's Court (formerly part of St Leonard's Mill) is listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.