This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0718 / 56°4'18"N
Longitude: -3.1748 / 3°10'29"W
OS Eastings: 326963
OS Northings: 687176
OS Grid: NT269871
Mapcode National: GBR 29.PDP7
Mapcode Global: WH6S1.6NF4
Plus Code: 9C8R3RCG+P3
Entry Name: St Leonard's Place, Archway Motors, Former St Leonard's Mill
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394236
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46860
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Late 18th century, enlarged 1838. 2-storey, 9-bay, rectangular-plan, flat-roofed former flax mill with vaulted interior. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble with droved ashlar quoins. Eaves cornice and blocking course. Segmental-headed opening.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf doors to segmental-headed arch at ground with blinded opening above in penultimate bay to right, and blocked opening to outer right at ground. 7 windows to left at each floor.
NW ELEVATION: regular fenestration to rear elevation.
SE ELEVATION: single storey elevation with slated pitched roof. 2-leaf panelled timber door to centre with blocked doors in flanking bays.
Small-pane glazing patterns to 1st floor SE and NW, mostly plate glass glazing in timber windows to ground SE.
INTERIOR: shallow brick barrel-vaults, rendered, on cast-iron columns, narrower columns to further vaulted 1st floor.
The OSA comments upon "a manufacture (which) had sprung up, which promises fair at present to render Kinghorn one of the most flourishing towns upon the coast of Fife; this is, the teasing, and rolling, and spinning of cotton and flax, by means of the Arkwright and Darlington machinery", (p239). At that time there were 4 mills already running and a fifth planned for the same year. By 1845 St Leonard's flax spinning mill employed over 300 workers. It was taken over and improved by Messrs Swan of Kirkcaldy who also owned other mills in Kinghorn. However, flax spinning ceased here in 1865, and in all Swans' mills by 1886. The building was unused until 1900, and is now (1999) engineering premises. St Leonard's Court (formerly part of St Leonard's Mill) is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings